Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Black bean fudge-don't do it




    
     Are you a fudge fan? I won't lie to you. I am. Of course it's not something I keep around the house because of the caloric content. It's just for Christmas. We make it and give it away, because if I'm gonna gain some Holiday weight, you're goin down with me my friend. That's what friends are for, right?
     I recently heard about bean fudge. A low-carb, healthy alternative to the calorie laden traditional fudge, made with nutritional power house ingredients like black beans and cocoa powder. Fudge with out the calories? Sign me up. Here I have listed for you the nutrition facts.
 
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Fudge -- Low Carb and Healthy
Serving Size: 1 (24 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24

Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Calories 52.6
Calories from Fat 34
65%
Total Fat 3.8 g
5%
Saturated Fat 3.1 g
15%
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
0%
Sodium 93.3 mg
3%
Total Carbohydrate 4.5 g
1%
Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
8%
Sugars 0.0 g
0%
Protein 1.6 g
3%
 
     As you can see, everything from the carbohydrate count to the grams of fat per serving is listed for you. What is not listed here is the taste. I suppose I was a bit naive and overly hopeful in thinking that once the black beans were pureed and mixed with the cocoa powder, that they would no longer taste like black beans. As if they would magically turn into a creamy smooth chocolaty blissful bite of delicious fudge tasting black bean. I was wrong. So very wrong.
     Any way, because I love you, I want to warn you and perhaps keep you from wasting your ingredients as I did. Don't do it! If I can save one hopeful person from going through what I went through when I bit into that dry, piece of black bean fudge, than it has all been worth it. In the mean time, here is my favorite recipe for traditional YUMMY fudge:
 
 

Ingredients

  • 3 cups (18 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
  • Dash salt
  • 1/2 to 1 cups chopped nuts (optional)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Instructions


  • LINE 8- or 9-inch square pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan.
  • MELT chocolate chips with sweetened condensed milk and salt in heavy saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat. Stir in nuts and vanilla. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
  • CHILL 2 hours or until firm. Remove from pan by lifting edges of foil. Cut into squares.

Till next time,
Ain't nothin' like the real thing, 
Miss Jodi
 

No comments:

Post a Comment