Monday, January 7, 2013

You'll eat it and you'll like it

     I know I can't be the only one in this cold world who lives with picky eaters. How I became the designated food preparer I'll never know. It kinda just happened. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I am a female, and along with that comes the obvious. That's right. A bosom. The ability to carry, nurture, and sustain life. So every one figures, "Well, if she could carry a baby to term, and nurse it, and if it ain't broke, why fix it?" Am I right? Whatever it is, I am expected to feed my family. EVERY day. Sometimes, more than once. I think that's a bit drastic. But they don't. So, along with shopping, prepping AND cooking,  EVERY day...comes the delight of my life. Feeding picky eaters. I was raised in the 70's when nothing was fresh or organic. Everything came in a can, box, or a powder. Think Spam and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, and of course, Tang. What is Tang anyway? Never mind, I really don't want to know. So, I am used to eating whatever is there. Hot, cooked or cold. There were days when all we ate were frozen fish sticks and pickles from a jar on the counter. So, imagine my surprise, when my first child suddenly had an obsession with eating ONLY hot dogs. Or when my dear husband informed me that he would not eat anything with sour cream, gravy, or tuna fish, or anything that even remotely resembled sour cream, gravy, or tuna fish. All of which I used on a regular basis to cook my "Gourmet" meals. I will admit to you, that I have a fantasy. Oh not the Brad Pit kind, no. This one involves me opening up a restaurant in which I decide what to cook and how much you will eat. The menu may consist of fresh salad, plates of tender crisp vegetables, and fish (salmon not sticks). My patrons will sit with their napkins on their laps and cell phones turned off, speaking to each other about the days events. When the waitress arrives, they will tell her, "Oh, whatever. I know it will just be amazing." And I don't need to say things like, "You'll eat it and you'll like it!" Or, "You have two choices, take it or leave it!"  Yes I know, ridiculous. I did mention it was my fantasy, right? But for now, I will just have to keep on fantasizing...that or keep Pizza Hut on speed dial...


No comments:

Post a Comment