Sunday, May 5, 2013

Garden Gnomes and Pink Flamingos




 
 
 
     What is your opinion on Gnomes? The one I posted here is certainly living the life, wouldn't you say? Smokin' something in that pipe and kickin' it in somebodies garden with out a care in the world inside that hard resin head of his. My grandparents had a small family of Gnomes as I was growing up. Along with some plastic deer. Except for the Gnomes, (I am guessing because I do not know the average height of real Gnomes so I can only speculate.) none of them were life sized. I guess you could say that I don't get garden ornaments. Of any kind. Ever.
     I understand that they are ornamental. I do. But, how do you come to the point where a pink flamingo with wire legs seems to you like the perfect touch to your beautiful green lawn? Since I live in the desert, we don't have many green lawns. We have more along the lines of "Decorative Rocks." And some one started a wagon trend. I don't get that either. They usually aren't even entire wagons. Just random pieces of wagons. Or even a lonely wagon wheel. Exactly what kind of statement are you going for with a wagon wheel?
     There is also house close by here that has a purple dinosaur in the front yard. I found it once when I was lost so I'm not sure I could find it again to get you a picture, if I could I certainly would. Another trend in ornamental gardening which may be the strangest, even stranger than pink flamingos, is the waterless wishing well. Isn't a well by it's very definition, supposed to have water in it? So then, isn't a waterless wishing well just about as useless as a chocolate teapot? At least you can eat chocolate.
     I guess, that as I am becoming older, I am finding more and more things to be superfluous. And if it isn't useful, what's the point? And what the use of a resin Gnome is, I cannot fathom. Except perhaps to give some Gnome factory workers a job...Leave me a comment and let me know what you think. I would love to hear from you. 
     Hide your pink flamingos,
    Miss Jodi
 

No comments:

Post a Comment